SharePoint 2010: Unable to open mysite with error An Unexpected error has occurred

Follow me So recently a Client reported an issue with his SharePoint 2010 Server where one of the user was not able to open his mysite with the following error. We started to look into the issue and found that the SharePoint profile of that user didn’t have any information about the path of MySite, so we went ahead and fixed that Select Application Management-> Manage Service Application under Central administration Select your UserProfile Service app from the list now -> Select Manage User Profile and now find the problem user and get into its profile. ( as in below screenshot) Now we found that the Personal Site box under user profile was blank, so we went ahead and updated the mysite path there. After this when we tried to pull up the user profile, we got a new error An unexpected error has occurred. Refer the screenshot below The interesting fact about the error is that it’s just a mask and to view the real error behind this one we need to disable the customerrors on the website, which is quite simple. Open IIS on the sharepoint server, browse to your MySite and right-click ->Explore. This should open the folder for the mysite virtual directory, here edit the web.config file and set . Screenshot below PS: Off (O should be in caps) After setting the error mode to Off, we tried to browse the mysite for the user again and this time we go altogether a new error message Object reference not set to an instance of an object   Now we tried a lot to fix this error...

SharePoint 2010: DPM unable to recover My Site with error “Unable to Attach Databases to the SQL Instance”

Follow me Recently I was working on a SharePoint 2010 server where a user was unable to open his My Site with an error  “Object Reference not set to an instance of an object”, Troubleshooting this error is altogether a different territory and I am going to write about it in another article soon 🙂 .  However in our case we resolved our issue by restoring the site with My Site backup available at the DPM server. However, when we were trying to do the My Site recovery from DPM we kept getting the error “DPM was unable to attach the databases to the SQL instance”.   Solution This is a known limitation when using Optimized Item Level Recovery (ILR) for SharePoint that uses clustered SQL servers, the work around is to do a non optimized recovery. To disable Optimized ILR completely, use the following registry key on the DPM 201o server: Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\SharePoint Value: DisableOptimizedILR Data:0x1 Type: DWORD PS: The same solution is valid for DPM 2012   Hope this resolves issue at hand, start a new thread on our forum to report or seek help on another issue Follow...