SharePoint 2010: DPM unable to recover My Site with error “Unable to Attach Databases to the SQL Instance”

Follow me Recently I was working on a SharePoint 2010 server where a user was unable to open his My Site with an error  “Object Reference not set to an instance of an object”, Troubleshooting this error is altogether a different territory and I am going to write about it in another article soon 🙂 .  However in our case we resolved our issue by restoring the site with My Site backup available at the DPM server. However, when we were trying to do the My Site recovery from DPM we kept getting the error “DPM was unable to attach the databases to the SQL instance”.   Solution This is a known limitation when using Optimized Item Level Recovery (ILR) for SharePoint that uses clustered SQL servers, the work around is to do a non optimized recovery. To disable Optimized ILR completely, use the following registry key on the DPM 201o server: Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\SharePoint Value: DisableOptimizedILR Data:0x1 Type: DWORD PS: The same solution is valid for DPM 2012   Hope this resolves issue at hand, start a new thread on our forum to report or seek help on another issue Follow...

Dpm console error 948: Unable to connect to DPMServerName ID: 948

Recently we did a fresh install of  of DPM 2012 R2 but when we try to  Open the DPM console  it gives the error “Unable to connect to “DPMServer” ID: 948: verify DPM service is  running on this computer”. Solution We managed to open the admin console by  Adding the admin user directly to the SQL Instance and assigning the user to the MSDPMExecRole and the MSDPMReaderRole. After assigning these permissions we were able to open the admin console with out any issue Feel free to start a new thread in our forum to report a new issue or seek help from expert...

Setting up DPM 2010 client on work group PC’s

Recently I had to install DPM on one of the server which was in work group. I had hardtime setting it up, so decided to share my steps here 1) Install the DPM agent on the PC by following procedure      a And Install DPMAgentInstaller_x86.exe ——–>> 32 Bit DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe——–>>64 Bit   2) open command prompt on client computer and browse to following directory on command prompt (Path may differ, use your common sense), also make sure Cmd prompt is open with Admin access (right click Run as admin) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin>SetDpmServer.exe -dpm servername Hyperv4 -isnondomainserver -username DPM Make sure that this computer is not part of a perimeter network. DPM does not support protection of computers on a perimeter network. Enter the password for ‘DPM’ to connect to ‘Hyperv4’: Retype the password to confirm: Enter the password for ‘DPM’ to connect to ‘Hyperv4’: Configuring dpm server settings and firewall settings for dpm server =[Hyperv4] completed successfully!!! 3) Go back to DPM server and open DPM snap in. if the agent is already installed, refresh it and wait to connect, it does then all is well 4) If connect still failed and then click on “install agent” on right hand action menu, follow the prompts to Attach agent , provide host name for workgroup client computer, username we created in step2 and password for same, attach the agent.  This time it should get connected 5) If it still fails then disable the firewall on the client computer completely by going into control Panel -> firewall-> turn off all three profiles 6) Try the step 4 again, you should be...