This issue is about an Exchange 2010 HA deployment which we almost 4 years back and today some of the mailbox databases dismounted, we found issues with Windows cluster and database availability group which we fully explained and fixed in Part 1 of this article series, You may want to have a quick look there to ensure what exactly has happened so far. Anyways, here we will be picking from where we left.

We fixed our DAG in part 1 and now we started adding our databases copy back to our problem server (which is now fixed), so I simply right click on the database and click to add a copy to my problem Exchange server, I received the following error, In the snap in I could see the copy (Only after completely exiting and restarting the EMC) but the health said failed.

Incremental seeding of database JournalDB\EX-MB1 encountered an error. A full reseed is required. Error: The Microsoft Exchange Replication service failed to determine   if the log files in database ‘JournalDB’ are divergent from the source copy on server ‘EX-MB2.domain.org’. Error: An error occurred while processing a request on server ‘EX-MB2’. Error: Database ‘33962035-b005-4a26-ad1f-43639040e9dd’ was not active on source server ‘EX-MB2’.

So if we read this error carefully, it’s basically suggesting that we need to do a complete reseeding of the database as it just cannot resume from where it left before failing, I feel that’s completely acceptable especially when we actually took the problem server off DAG and readded it, we cannot just expect replication to reconvene from where we left it.

Thankfully this problem has an easy fix. Run the first command to suspend the current replication of the database and then run the second command to reseed the database from the beginning.

Command 1:

Suspend-mailboxdatabasecopy -identity Journaldb\EX-MB1

Command 2:

Update-mailboxdatabasecopy -identity Journaldb\EX-MB1 -deleteExistingFiles

Post the second command, my PowerShell screen remained on the same prompt, until the seeding completed, it’s helpful as you can see the real-time copy status   and if you really need to run another command then you can for sure open another Exchange Shell.

We successfully added Mailbox database copies to problem server using the way above but as we were about to add the third copy we faced some more errors, please refer to Part3 of these article series to check out those errors and resolutions.

Part 3: Exchange-2010-std-mailbox-server-has-reached-the-maximum-database-limit-of-5

Hopefully, this should help you with the issue or else feel free to reach us for immediate paid support.

If this article was able to help you a bit, Please share your love and support for us by sharing this article on Facebook, Linked in or Google using the links below

 

The following two tabs change content below.
An automobile enthusiast at heart and computer geek by profession, started my Career with MS in 2005.Left Jobs and started Pledge Technologies (the parent company to Grishbi) back in 2009.We have been providing IT consulting to various Small and Medium businesses across US and UK since then.Our company specialises in Microsoft Server technologies like AD, Exchange, the rest and with numerous Office 365 migrations under our belt, we quite an expert with that too. Whatever we learn in our day to day life, we share it back on Grishbi as a Thank for all the love and support our customers have given us.
%d bloggers like this: