One of the Windows 2008 R2 server suddenly started to have some issue with Event Viewer and Server Manager not loading with following error.
Exception stack trace :
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.HandleInitializationRequest(IRequestStatus requestStatus)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.ProcessRequest(Request request)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.ViewMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)
I researched on the issue and found suggestions to uninstall/reinstall or repair .Net 3.5.1. We successfully repaired Dot net on the server with no success with the primary issue.
Further research pointed me towards some issues with system fonts can cause this problem, after hunting around bushes for several font settings I finally looked at the following registry location.
All the values (font names) has data with wierd names ending with numbers like times_01.ttf or arial_05.ttf
I went ahead and Exported the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts registry from another working server 2008 R2 and imported it right into the problem server.
Voila 🙂 , this resolved the issue for me. I closed and reopened server manager and Event viewer, all comes up just fine.
PS: If it doesn’t straight away you may reboot the server
Latest posts by Shishir Chandrawat (see all)
- Exchange 2010 Std: Mailbox server has reached the maximum database limit of 5 Error RcrExceedDbLimitException - December 12, 2016
- Exchange 2010: Unable to add Mailbox Database copies on DAG member servers, Error: An error occurred while processing a request on server - December 12, 2016
- Unable to Mount Microsoft Exchange DAG Database, Error: Failed to determine the mount status of the active database copy - December 12, 2016