So recently a Client reported an issue with his SharePoint 2010 Server where one of the user was not able to open his mysite with the following error.

Mysite Http 404

Mysite Http 404

We started to look into the issue and found that the SharePoint profile of that user didn’t have any information about the path of MySite, so we went ahead and fixed that

Select Application Management-> Manage Service Application under Central administration

Select your UserProfile Service app from the list now -> Select Manage User Profile and now find the problem user and get into its profile. ( as in below screenshot)

Now we found that the Personal Site box under user profile was blank, so we went ahead and updated the mysite path there.

Check the Personal SIte box it should list the path to the mysite of the user

Check the Personal SIte box it should list the path to the mysite of the user

After this when we tried to pull up the user profile, we got a new error An unexpected error has occurred. Refer the screenshot below

WebPart error after fixing profile

WebPart error after fixing profile

The interesting fact about the error is that it’s just a mask and to view the real error behind this one we need to disable the customerrors on the website, which is quite simple.

Open IIS on the sharepoint server, browse to your MySite and right-click ->Explore. This should open the folder for the mysite virtual directory, here edit the web.config file and set . Screenshot below

Edit web.config file of your my site to set CustomError Mode to Off

Edit web.config file of your my site to set CustomError Mode to Off

PS: Off (O should be in caps)

After setting the error mode to Off, we tried to browse the mysite for the user again and this time we go altogether a new error message

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

RealErrorafterturningOff Custom error mode

Real Error after turning Off Custom error mode

 

Now we tried a lot to fix this error but the final resolution was to restore the mysite of this user from DPM 2010(Data Protection Manager, Backup solution from Microsoft). Our DPM takes backup of individual My Site of the users. We restored the mysite but we did run into a peculiar issue with the restore process as well (Explained in another article, here). After getting over the error as described in the other article. we were able to over write the mysite of the user with the backup we had in DPM and that resolved our issue.

Hope this article helps you resolve issue at hand, feel free to seek support on new issues at our forum

The following two tabs change content below.
An automobile enthusiast at heart and computer geek by profession, started my Career with MS in 2005.Left Jobs and started Pledge Technologies (the parent company to Grishbi) back in 2009.We have been providing IT consulting to various Small and Medium businesses across US and UK since then.Our company specialises in Microsoft Server technologies like AD, Exchange, the rest and with numerous Office 365 migrations under our belt, we quite an expert with that too. Whatever we learn in our day to day life, we share it back on Grishbi as a Thank for all the love and support our customers have given us.
%d bloggers like this: