Let me begin by saying that SBS servers are my least favourite ones and with Windows 2008 i.e. SBS 2008 its icing on the cake 🙂 .  Anyways, so a client reported with SBS 2008 server that Exchange services are down. Upon checking the server we found the following state

The Server is unbearably slow and not responding at all
Information storing service is stuck on Starting state
System Attendant service is stuck on Stopping 🙂

We tried restarting the server in safe mode and were unable to login with Error “No Logon server available”

We also tried safe mode with networking and failed with error “Netlogon service not started”

PS: For Domain controller we should have tried to login to DSRM mode instead of SafeMode because on a DC, local SAM is disabled. I forgot to do that but just putting it here for other’s reference.

We booted the server back to Normal mode and connected to services snap-in from another machine in the domain. We went ahead and disable all the Exchange & SQL services on the server. Apart from this we also did a clean boot on the server and rebooted it . (Refer Article, How to cleanboot)

This time-server came back up quite fast and also it was responding OK.  We executed DCdiag on the server and found it to be clean.  Tried starting exchange services but the services failed to start.

Upon examining the event viewer we found event Id 2114 with following error repeatedly

Process MAD.EXE (PID=6276). Topology discovery failed, error 0x80040a02 (DSC_E_NO_SUITABLE_CDC). Look up the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) error code specified in the event description. To do this, use Microsoft Knowledge Base article 218185, “Microsoft LDAP Error Codes.” Use the information in that article to learn more about the cause and resolution to this error. Use the Ping or PathPing command-line tools to test network connectivity to local domain controllers.

DSC_E_NO_SUITABLE_CDC

DSC_E_NO_SUITABLE_CDC

 

Upon further research we found that this issue happens because of IPV6 being incorrectly disabled on the server, we checked and did find IPV6 box unchecked in the network connections properties.  We went ahead and checked it back and rebooted the server.

Server was back up quite fast and we started the exchange services and Voila 🙂 this time they all came back up just fine. So in nutshell this issue was caused because IPV6 was disabled incorrectly, IPV6 has significance in servers after Windows 2008, so if you really want to disable it than please use the following procedure.

1. Open Registry with “Regedit”

i. Windows Server 2008 R2 and earlier- At the desktop Start menu, select Run, and type ‘regedit.exe’.

ii. Windows Server 2012 and later- Press the Windows key + Q, and type ‘regedit’ in the ‘search’ box. Click on the registry editor (regedit) icon when displayed.

2. Navigate to the following registry hive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters

3. Create a DWORD (32-bit) value and name it as “Disabled Components” and then click OK.

4. Double click “Disabled Components” and type 0xffffffff (hexadecimal value) or 4294967295 (Decimal value).

Hope this article helps you to fix issue at hand, for support with other issue, feel free to start a new thread on our forum or open a paid support ticket with us at Pledge Technologies.

The following two tabs change content below.
An automobile enthusiast at heart and computer geek by profession, started my Career with MS in 2005.Left Jobs and started Pledge Technologies (the parent company to Grishbi) back in 2009.We have been providing IT consulting to various Small and Medium businesses across US and UK since then.Our company specialises in Microsoft Server technologies like AD, Exchange, the rest and with numerous Office 365 migrations under our belt, we quite an expert with that too. Whatever we learn in our day to day life, we share it back on Grishbi as a Thank for all the love and support our customers have given us.
%d bloggers like this: