Recently, I was working on an Exchange where Mailboxes were migrated from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2010. The old server was dying, and hence the client turned that server off. Everything started to work fine, however when the users tried to reconfigure their phones, it failed. After further checking on the issue, I noticed that only the users who had their phones previously configured with their work email, are failing to configure. If we try to configure a new phone with the same account it works. Hence, I started to further look on the new Exchange 2010 Server to find out the issue.

FYI: I checked online for suggestions, and a number of people suggested to remove the ActiveSync Partnership from the exchange server. I did so, however it did not resolve the issue at all.

What did I found on Server? I noticed that the server is showing the following warning for all users multiple times:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MSExchange ActiveSync
Date:          3/2/2015 6:45:50 AM
Event ID:      1008
Task Category: Requests
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Exchange.Domain.Local
An exception occurred and was handled by Exchange ActiveSync. This may have been caused by an outdated or corrupted Exchange ActiveSync device partnership. This can occur if a user tries to modify the same item from multiple computers. If this is the case, Exchange ActiveSync will re-create the partnership with the device. Items will be updated at the next synchronization. 
— Exception start —
Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InvalidSyncStateVersionException
Exception message: Sync state ‘Policy’ loaded from the user’s mailbox has a newer version ’37’ than the Client Access server version ’35’.  Please update the Client Access server to the latest version.
Exception level: 0
Exception stack trace:    at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.SyncState.Load(Boolean reloadFromBackend, PropertyDefinition[] additionalPropsToLoad)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.CustomSyncState.GetSyncState(SyncStateStorage syncStateStorage, Folder syncStateParentFolder, SyncStateInfo syncStateInfo, StoreObjectId storeObjectId)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.SyncStateStorage.GetCustomSyncState(SyncStateInfo syncStateInfo)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.GlobalInfo.LoadFromMailbox(MailboxSession mailboxSession, SyncStateStorage syncStateStorage, ProtocolLogger protocolLogger)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.OpenSyncStorage(String deviceType, String deviceID, Boolean shouldOpenGlobalSyncState)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.WorkerThread()
— Exception end —
My curiosity was to find out why there is difference in the Sync state Policy on the mailbox and the CAS server. Further research pointed me to a very common mistake a number of user may end up doing in this scenario. The Old Exchange Server was running Exchange 2010 SP1, and the new Exchange Server was Exchange 2010 without any Service Pack. Hence, I upgraded the Service Pack level to 1. I did not try to upgrade it to SP3 directly, as I too wasn’t sure how it would behave. I could have done that later, if SP1 doesn’t work.
Solution: Under the above mentioned circumstances, we found that after we upgraded the new Exchange 2010 to SP1, we are able configure the phones properly.
Hope this article will help you to resolve the similar situation.
The following two tabs change content below.
Passionate for Latest Gadgets, a Computer geek by Hobby, and luckily Profession too. Started my career in 2005 with IBM, worked with Microsoft later. Back in 2009, started Pledge Technologies ( (parent company to Grishbi). We, at Pledge Technologies, provide IT Consulting to SMBs across US & UK. Specialized in Microsoft Technologies like AD, Exchange, etc., and lot of experience of Office 365 Migration for various clients. Grishbi is a platform where we express what we learned today, and share it with world.
%d bloggers like this: