A client with Exchange 2013 on premise server complained about not been able to access Outlook web access both internally and over the internet with “Access is Denied” error. We checked out the server and validated the issue exist, we also found that we are also not able to open ECP (Exchange Control Panel) URL with the same “Access is Denied” error.

Error while accessing OWA:

===
Server Error in ‘/owa’ Application.
—————–
Access is denied.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 
 Exception Details: System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.
Source Error:

This error can only be revealed in debug mode and for that please add  “Debug=true” directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language=”C#” Debug=”true” %>

PS: Applications in debug mode are memory intensive, disable it as soon as you are done with the troubleshooting

Error while accessing ECP:

Server Error in ‘/ecp’ Application.
——————————————————————————–
Access is denied. 
  Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 
 Exception Details: System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.
Source Error: 
 An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 
[SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.]

We troubleshoot the issue further and found that all the  MSExchangeApplicationpool Identity set incorrectly, we followed the following steps to resolve the issue.

  • Open IIS Manager.
  • Go to Application pools
  • Right click on the app pool name and pull up Advanced Settings
  • Select Built-in account option and switch all the Exchange related applications pool to “Local System”
  • Perform IISRESET

After this OWA and ECP were working OK for us and hopefully it will fix it for you too, else feel free to reach out to our paid support options Here

The following two tabs change content below.
An automobile enthusiast at heart and computer geek by profession, started my Career with MS in 2005.Left Jobs and started Pledge Technologies (the parent company to Grishbi) back in 2009.We have been providing IT consulting to various Small and Medium businesses across US and UK since then.Our company specialises in Microsoft Server technologies like AD, Exchange, the rest and with numerous Office 365 migrations under our belt, we quite an expert with that too. Whatever we learn in our day to day life, we share it back on Grishbi as a Thank for all the love and support our customers have given us.
%d bloggers like this: