Issue: HyperV Virtual Machine not able to access any network.
Summary: Transferring HyperV Virtual Machines from old Host Server (Windows Server 2008 R2) to new Host Server (Windows Server 2012 R2) via manual process. Copied VHD to the new server, configured Virtual Machine on the new HyperV 2012 R2 Server. The VHDs were not converted to VHDx format. When all was then and we started the machine and gave it the same static IP, it failed to connect to any network. This Hyper V VM is not able to access the HOST Network, the Gateway, and had an exclamation sign on the Network Icon in system tray.
Solution: This is usually caused because of the hidden network adaptor present in the virtual machine, with the same static IP. You’ll have to remove these hidden adaptors to ensure all goes well. Here are the steps to do so:
- Shutdown the Virtual Machine, which has problem accessing the network
- Remove all Network Adaptor from the Settings of the Virtual Machine
- Save the configuration of the Virtual Machine and Start it
Login to Windows and open command prompt
At the command prompt, type the following command and hit return: (If you do not run this command, you’ll not see the required adaptor in Step 8)
- Again within the command prompt, type the following and hit return:
- Under View menu of Device Manager, click on Show hidden devices.
- Expand the Network Adaptors and you’ll notice some Virtual Adaptors listed and are little dimmed (Like they are inactive) as compared to others. Usually named as “Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter #“
- Right click on each adaptor and remove (uninstall) the adaptor from this window. Repeat this step until you delete all inactive Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Adaptors.
Shutdown the Virtual Machine, and Add the network adaptor again under the Hyper V Virtual Machine Settings.
Start the Virtual Machine, and assign the IP to the Virtual, it will now work fine.
Latest posts by Rishi Chaudhary (see all)
- ShadowCopy Backup after renaming VSSADMIN.EXE - October 5, 2016
- No Network Connection after Windows 10 Upgrade – Fixed - August 25, 2015
- Windows 10 System Tray Notification Issue - August 7, 2015