ESET Antivirus Installation failed with Error 5001
Issue: ESET Antivirus Installation failed with Error 5001 in Event Viewer and also says that the computer has not been restarted after a program installation.
Environment: Windows 7 Pro x64
Details: I was trying to install ESET Antivirus on a workstation, and the ESET kept on failing with the following error message:
Log Name: Application
Date: 8/20/2014 3:52:30 PM
Event ID: 10005
Task Category: None
Product: ESET Endpoint Antivirus — Error 5001. The computer has not been restarted after a program uninstallation. Please restart the computer and run the installer again.
<Provider Name=”MsiInstaller” />
<TimeCreated SystemTime=”2014-08-20T22:52:30.000000000Z” />
<Security UserID=”S-1-5-21-0000000000-3943105062-3906675738-1001″ />
<Data>Product: ESET Endpoint Antivirus — Error 5001. The computer has not been restarted after a program uninstallation. Please restart the computer and run the installer again.</Data>
Prerequisites for ESET is to install the .NET 2.0 & .NET 3.5. I installed them successfully, however the ESET installation will still rollback before completion. After further investigation we found that the Windows Base Filtering Engine Service was not started. Its startup type is set to Automatic. So I tried to start the service, however that too failed with error:
Windows could not start the Base Filtering Engine service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied.
I further troubleshot the issue with BFE Service, and found the following fix the service:
- 1. Download the ESET SierfefCleaner Tool. http://download.eset.com/special/ESETSirefefCleaner.exe and save it on the desktop.
- 2. Go to Start – Run, and Browse to this file within the Run Dialog Box.
- 3. Add /r switch in the end of the file name in the run box and click ok.
- 4. Click Yes if you are prompted with UAC prompt.
- 5. Click Agree to License Agreement of the Tool.
- 6. Follow any onscreen prompt, and once complete, reboot your PC.
- 7. The Base Filtering Engine Service should start automatically now.
After the reboot, I tried to install the ESET Antivirus again and this time it completed successfully.
Please do not forget to share your feedback, or ask us a question by clicking here.
Latest posts by Rishi Chaudhary (see all)
- ShadowCopy Backup after renaming VSSADMIN.EXE - October 5, 2016
- No Network Connection after Windows 10 Upgrade – Fixed - August 25, 2015
- Windows 10 System Tray Notification Issue - August 7, 2015